Monday, March 14, 2011

Surprise!! A moment of forced relaxation...

My mother is amazing! She does so much for others all the time, and never has time or takes time for herself. Christy and I have been scheming for a while and finally did something about it -- we surprised my mom with a Mother-Daughters Girls Getaway weekend in San Diego. It was my very first trip alone...no husband, no kids...and while I did shed tears at the airport, I must say it was a rather exhilarating feeling to be so independent. (Oh, and I barely got the ok from my doctor to fly so late in my pregnancy...whew!)
The hardest part was the element of surprise. My plane was delayed two hours, which left me getting into LA around midnight. Christy successfully used her drama skills to convince Mom that she was at a friend's house until past 2am! Then when we pulled into the driveway, I stayed on the front porch while Christy and Mom got ready for bed -- chatted, had scripture and prayer, etc. Then Christy let me in and we spent a few wee morning hours sleeping (hence the "we-need-more-sleep" pictures) before getting up to surprise mom with a yummy crepe breakfast, flowers, and a day full of pampering. (We actually managed to video tape the surprise meeting itself, but I can't get it to load on here correctly. It's priceless!)
We had so much fun!!! We all got pedicures together, then Christy and I dropped Mom off for a spa escape -- waxing, facial, massage -- the works. Next was a trip to the salon and then dinner and dessert at The Cheesecake Factory. Then we finished off the day with a showering of gifts and all of us watching Christy's amazing DVD (it has all of the best romantic scenes from our favorite movies, all on one DVD...Emma, North & South, Scarlet Pimpernel, Anne of Green Gables, A Room with a View, etc.) And that was just the first day!
On Saturday we lounged around the house, worked on some organizing projects together, and enjoyed fun shopping time. It was so, so fun to be together just the three of us. We just wish it could've lasted longer. I headed back home Sunday morning right after Sacrament Meeting. It was truly an escape for all of us. I Love you, Mom and Christy!!

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Fun, fun, fun!!! I'm so glad you could get away for a little you time before the baby comes! Looks like you gals really lived it up together. Good for you!

Jan said...

That is so needed at times...a girls' getaway! Looked like so much fun!

Laura said...

That is so sweet of you and Christy! I know your mom loved it. You're the best daughters!!!

Laura :)